Do you have antivirus/malware software on your PC/Mac/Server? If so, pay close attention to that software’s renewal terms. Watch out for any future phishing emails that contain an attached invoice. The scam asks you to either click a link to renew your subscription or call the phone number listed on the fake invoice to cancel.
Tips to Avoid Antivirus / Malware Software Scams
- Visit the software company’s verified URL and pay through the software company’s portal
- Calendar renewal dates
- Keep your antivirus/malware software up to date
- Know the general terms of all software on your PC/Mac
- Avoid paying invoices through email
- When in doubt, look in the software settings to find Support info. Don’t always trust contact information on search engines because sometimes the business information can be claimed by scammers.
- Sometimes scammers pry on your browsing habits or purchases. Be sure to limit browser data collection by checking your browser’s security and browser settings
- Keep all other software on your PC or Mac up to date
- Educate your staff on technology scams so they know what to watch out for too
- Check with your IT professional to make sure the software you use is up to date with today’s cybersecurity market, malware, scams
Visit www.scbar.org/tech for great links or email email@example.com for more advice.